My last post was about the secret to a happy marriage. If you read it, you learned that it’s a deep friendship based on mutual respect and honor!
You know that your positive feelings about your partner outweigh the negative ones when:
- You want to spend time together.
- You want to share your hopes, dreams, and secrets with your partner.
- You treat your partner with respect.
- You do not intentionally embarrass your partner.
- In the middle of a fight, one of you can do something silly and make the other one laugh or smile.
- You are able to recover after a fight.
- You do not have feelings of contempt or disgust in your partner (note: actions can disgust you, I’m referring to disgust in who your partner is).
- You usually are able to give the benefit of the doubt.
- You know that he or she didn’t hurt you intentionally.
- You give your partner a chance to explain before you assume the worst.
Stay tuned for my next post on practical ways to reconnect with examples from my own marriage!